View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 23:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Sunny. Yes this topic has been discussed in lots of threads. The answer is that the Maltitol is a 'sugar alcohol'. It IS a carb but it is claimed that these do not raise the blood sugar level nor elicit a surge of insulin. So the makers only have to count the other carbs in the bars.

In many threads on this board, you will see that bars often stall people. But some others eat them daily and don't have any trouble losing. So it is a very individual reaction.

In most of the Atkins books, it says to stick to the real foods on the Induction List. But apparently, Atkins or someone on Atkins diet may have said the bars are OK. You'll just have to try and see how it goes. Personally, I'd try to hold off on them for the Induction.

Watch out for maltitol's other action: it is a very powerful LAXATIVE. Some people who eat the chocolate candy bars report having to stay close to bathroom the day after eating a whole bar.

As for needing an energy lift: I guess I wonder if you have to do the yoga on an empty stomach, because I know nothing about how to do yoga. And have you tried eating protein foods instead of the 'sugary stuff'? I do that for blood donations and have no problems. The good part is that the BS stays so stable when we're on low carb.

If yoiu don't like eggs for breakfast, try cooking too much dinner and have leftovers for breakfast. I often do that.

Hope this helps.