#7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 18:04

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Steve!

Welcome and enjoy your new way of life!

I see 3 different physicians and 2 of the 3 said they agreed with the LC WOE....hmmm I wonder if the fact that they all are or were Duke docs?

Anyway....personally, my total cholesterol might have gone up significantly (non-fasting....getting fasting done Monday)....but my triglycerides went down by more than 50%! (fasting 424 to non-fasting 201!).

My doc (the one that was not for Atkins ) wanted me to go on cholesterol lowering medications but agreed to a 3 month trial of letting me try with diet and exercise to lower my numbers without it.

Well, less than 3 months later I am 23 pounds lighter, taking less than half the anti-inflamatory med, have cut my HRT by 1/4, and have stablized my blood sugar. The only negative so far is my cholesterol is higher....and it's over 300! But...that was not a fasting reading...and I'm reading more and more about cholesterol not being the problem, tryglcerides are the bad guys!

Check with your doc....request a trial period. You might want to bring some info with you....nothing extensive, maybe a short article about a study or a sample of your intake and activity? It doesn't have to be 3 months, set up an appointment to have a recheck in about 6 weeks. If you've not had a check and lab work done recently, I'd ask for that to be done asap. (You want to know what your current levels are, so you can see your progress.)

Keep us informed! And post on here any time you need help or support....and buy the book...and read it thoroughly....the more informed you are the better!