#2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 07:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/142/125
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Griffo,

Untill you do Atkins for real, i can offer the following as substitutes and suggestions to eating indian food:

--- Tandoori Chicken as a good choice in restaurants
--- Brown Rice instead of White Rice (it tastes yummy, and is much more filling)
--- Try and decrease the amount of tomatoes and onions used in curries. I often make spinach with diced chicken... I cook it using mustard seeds instead of onions
--- same goes for cauliflower and cabbage (need more tomatoes though for flavour, so i try not to make it too often)
--- paneer is ok
--- Chickpeas and Lentils are very high in carbs... like really high. I think chickpeas are like 50grams/ cup? I'd give it up.

Once you start Atkins though, you will have to be more careful...

--- Tandoori chicken is prepared with tomatoes and yogurt, both not allowed during induction... (maybe tomatoes are ok, but have to check that)
-- Rice is not allowed
--After Induction, you can use tomatoes and onions in moderation, measuring them as part of your carb count...
--- Paneer after induction should be ok

Also, because most indian vegetable dishes are cooked really thoroughly, it reduces the nutritional value... but still better to eat cooked veggies than no veggies. You will also have to measure how much you eat of these during induction, but less so after.

Indian food is so not fun without rice and naan or chapatti, and especially difficult to prepare without using a lot of tomatoe paste and onions. Depending on your plan, and what phase you are in, you will be able to modify. I am still doing Atkins, and if I want to eat indian food, i'll generally have tandoori chicken, or a dry chicken curry. I also will have paneer when i go to a restaurant, and never eat the naan and rice. It makes it challenging to eat that way without the rest of the table making faces, but its worked and I havnt stalled on those days when I ate like that.

Hope this helps some.
Have fun!