View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 22:03

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 365/354/190
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Anyone had a heart attack using Atkins?

Hi all ... just looking for some non-medical feedback. 13 months ago I had a heart attack and an emergency 5-way bypass. My weight is nearly 360 (actually not too bad ... I lost 5 lbs on day 1!). Additionally, I have diabetes (glucophage, not insulin) ... and I think I love the Atkins diet. It's really exciting to find something that I really think will work for me .. I have hopes for a healthy life again ... like many other people, I saw the plan covered on the Nightly News.. and it seems to be a good fit. It feels right.

Anyway, I called my Cardiologist, who's vacationing with his wife for a week, I spoke with my Pulmonologist (I also have asthma, now under control), and my PA (Physicians Assistant ... a walking font of knowledge and patient handling skills... The Pulmonologist said this morning that the Atkins was probably fine, just keep your doctor's appraised, have blood and other tests done regularly ... just good "horse sense" answers..left his office feeling great. My PA's nurse called me, and said that Patty (the PA), said "absolutely not!" "Not with your cardiac history and diabetes" ... and, I really really want to stay with Atkins ..
Again, my Pulmonologist is away (actually he's in Las Vegas ... maybe I should call him there....naaaah.

Anyway, anybody out there have first hand knowledge of Atkins with a heart condition (which is really on the mend..no bad damage)..

I'm nearly 60 and partially bald. LOL...true though

Help!!

SteveF
Sponsored Links