View Single Post
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 20:28

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

wow. what a fight. ummm, why? at least whoa is relying on studies rather than insults to back up his arguments...I find it disrespectful to this wonderful website that some of the posters above are using insults to make their points.

The truth is, we DON'T KNOW whether CR is going to do what it claims yet. It is too new a practice. The human studies have simply not been done yet. And while animal studies very, very often provide great, and otherwise missing insight into the human condition, there needs to be a HUMAN study with CR. I feel that the individuals who practice CR are doing a service to science by sticking to the diet. In 30, 50, years the scientific community will have a MUCH greater insight into the actual benefits and effects of a CR lifestyle, and this will be the direct result of the dedication current CRers' have-- (i highly doubt it would be possible to pay people to stick to a CR study for the rest of their lives...I know i wouldn't do it...i look forward to spending my 60th birthday in a fancy restaurant, with pizza on the side...) Without these people, the (IMO) very interesting questions raised by CR hypotheses would not be answered! I don't see why anyone has a problem with this.
Especially us, lowcarbers, who follow a strict diet that many people don't agree with or see a point to. We are, for the most part, doing it for health and a long life. Same as CR. Personally, i find it extremely interesting a question. I don't want to live 200 years myself, (and don't neccessarily think that humans should, at all,) but it is none the less very intriguing to me.

And to say that CR is the same as anorexia-- that is wrong and insulting. Anorexia is a DISEASE, a terrible life threatening disease. Most anorexics never eat even CLOSE to 1,000 calories a day, and if they did, you can bet they purged it afterward. There is NOTHING healthy about anorexia, and absolutely NO focus on health and nutrients (as there is with CR). And to say that CRers' and anorexics look the same, is also just wrong. To say this, you've obviously never actually compared someone who eats 1,000 calories a day to an anorexic. There is a huge difference in the way they look, which i won't even go into because it makes me sick to have to explain.