View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 10:06

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

ah, my favorite subject --- BOOZE!

when I first started Atkins, it was just as a sort of lark, I was actually kinda skeptical about it, hadn't read much of the book (still haven't!) or the web sites, so... on my first day, I actually went out and had several guinness with a friend. I stayed away from the booze for a few days after that, and inspite of that initial booze fest, I managed to lose about 4 - 5 pounds in the first 4 - 5 days.

I think I stayed booze free for almost, but not quite two weeks after that initial night. About ten days into it, I went out on another bender, and inspite of all that, I lost 12 pounds during my two week induction.

Since then, I am sure I drink less, and probably less often, but I do have a few drinks at least one or two times a week. I try to stick to no-carb or very low carb fare, like scotch, lite beer, Guinness (oh yes!), and wine.

Like others have said, 1) it DOES hit me harder. 2) I cannot drink as much - after a few drinks, I usually have had enough. I start feeling crappy and the stuff looses it's appeal. 3) the after effects are worse, especially if I push my new low limits - worse hangover, hard time sleeping, wake up feeling really queasy, etc.

The way I understand it, the booze sort of puts your weight loss on pause. Not as bad as eating a bowl of ice cream would be, but not great either, if you are in a hurry to drop your poundage.

Until I read the post above, I thought the purple sticks I saw the day after were a good sign, I didn't realize that was just the booze produced ketones. Thanks for setting me straight, a-cat!

Anyway, I have been losing at a slow, glacial, unspectacular pace, and it would be a good guess that I would lose faster if I cut out all the booze, but who's in a hurry?

I intend to continue on the Atkins plan, to keep going to the gym and the pool, and yes, to still have that occaisional drink or two or three... or four (but that's usually it!)