Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 22:56
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant
My point being, they look the same. Talking to them would be cheating.

Ah, but I know a woman who cannot gain weight and eats like a pig. She is 90 pounds and underweight and actually hates it. She is also emaciated and has bones sticking out and is anything but starving herself. I suspect she has a thyroid problem but her tests all show her in the normal range and she would give her left arm to gain weight. Just because someone is emaciated doesnt mean they have an eating disorder (mental illness) there are also many other diseases like cancer, celiac etc. Even a drug habit or lack of money to buy food (third world countries) where people are emaciated and neither CRon or Anorexic. Can't always judge a book by its cover.

Quote:
Sure, some do say that about low-carbers. The difference is that health markers are improving with a low-carb diet; a very practical, down-to-earth diet approach. The people that have problems with the low-carb diet are idealogues and they ignore/deny what doesn't fit into their paradigm.

Of course you and I think that but there are many nutritionists, doctors, scientists, federal program directors and weight watchers members who would argue vociferously against it. Its all about how we interpret information. Of course I believe what I am doing is right, if I didnt I wouldnt be doing it, but they all think the same way. Just look at how many people interpret the bible in a million different ways. The same people look at the same study and somehow (dont ask me how since my interpretations always seem logical and obvious to me) get something different out of it. Also studies that I may consider flawed they might legitimize while studies that I consider to be a gold standard they will criticize. Everyone has an agenda no matter how objective we try to be or think we are. Even me :-)

Quote:
Their 'feelings' are irrational. The CRONbie diet is NOT healthy. Tell me, how can a diet which emaciates the body, causes dangerously low cholesterol levels, drops sex hormone levels where you effectively neuter yourself, healthy? Really, I'd like to know. It suggests that what is driving them ultimately is not longer or healthier lives.

They believe that they are activating certain genes by eating this way that is going to extend their life. They are going based on certain studies that were done that showed life extension to be the result. When I was speaking with a veterinary nutritionist about extending the life of my cat he also told me that the only effective way known was to cut 20% of his calories. I am not going to do that and my cat eats a healthy grain free diet and I am keeping it that way. Will CRon extend life in humans? I have no idea nor am I going to try it. I dont believe that I follow the optimal diet in terms of nutrition. I can get more vitamins, walk more, eat fewer low carb products etc. I dont think following a low fat eating plan is optimal for health but it works for many people. I also dont believe that long distance running is optimal and puts undue stress on the joints, I dont think intense body building is the optimal state for the body. All these people who do these things believe that they are getting benefits from them based on things that they have seen, read, heard, experienced, speculate etc. I am more of a live and let live person. What I may think is healthy or unhealthy there are a million others who are ready to argue the opposite. They have legitimate reasons to eat this way or feel like they should and they are trying to better their health. Whether I think that its going to better their health is irrelevant. So far I havent heard of any CRon people dying of malnutrition either. More power to them IMO. I hope they do live to 300! Also, from what I heard of an average 5'4 woman taking in around 1500 calories and an average 5'11 male taking in 1900 or so calories it doesnt seem like they are starving themselves to the point of sickness anyway. There might be some who do and take it to more of an extreme but those dont seem like unreasonable calorie levels where one is always starving. Especially since they arent getting any additional exercise.