Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 21:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant

Do you honestly think if you formed a line of anorexics and the "elite" CRONbies who have been able to stomache the diet for a few years, that you'd be able to tell them apart? The CRONbie couple featured in a recent post look anorexic to me and to a lot of other people. Not eating to the point of emaciation and emasulation is not healthy... The odd food rituals, the food obsessions, compulsive behaviour... am I describing a CRONbie or an anorexic?

Kind regards

After speaking with them for a few minutes I absolutely believe I could. I was hospitalized for anorexia when I was a teenager so this issue might be a little touchy for me but the way I behaved and others who were there with me with the same or similar EDs were very different. Its a completely different state of mind with different reasons and anorexia is not focused on good health and nutrition. Many anorexics are suicidal and want to die by vanishing. I remember thoughts of people thinking of how fat I might be when I would be buried and not caring if I lived or died as long as I was thin, I would compete with myself to try and see how many days I can have on just water or punish myself if I ate something that had over 100 calories in 1 sitting. In fact the absolute maximum I might have ever eaten in a day was 1000 calories. Most days I remember trying to live on 300 or so. I was sick and anyone who spoke with me for more than a few minutes would have been able to see that. I wasnt able to think or talk about anything else and all I would see when I looked at myself was how fat I was. I would have nightmares about my bones being covered by layers of fat. I think there is a huge difference.

One can look at low carbers and say they have quirky eating habits or even obsessions. I think many people would look at low carbers as eating in an unhealthy way. I think there is a lot more to an ED than just the way one might look and I think there is a difference between when something is a hobby vs. an obsession. The CR people are not trying to kill themselves and they are doing this based off of what they feel to be legitimate scientific research. Is the desire to have a longer or healthier life an unhealthy obsession? I suppose it can be, anything taken to an extreme can be unhealthy but the freedom to make choices is also the freedom to make bad choices. Either way, this topic wasnt on obsession vs hobby. The same way there are low carbers who can be obessive advocates the same can be said for people on WW or CRon or fitness or work or anything else there are also people that arent and that is something that is very individual. The CRon people, from what I have seen on multiple forums, are usually adults who are, for all intents and purposes, mentally stable who want to make a change in their life that may lead to a healthy outcome instead of mentally unstable children who are obsessed with thinness and hate themselves. Many people who look at my daily saturated fat intake and the fact that over 60% of my daily calories come from fat will say that I am making an unhealthy food choice and that I am not taking care of myself but as a mentally competent adult that is my decision alone to make.