View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-07, 06:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Welcome to the hardcore world of gym logging

It really does help to keep a log of what you're doing ... helps chart progress etc., and it's great for everyone else to see what you're doing too

Your workouts are looking great As for the mix and matching, my suggestion would be to do your resistance work separately to your cardio, or at the very least do your resistance training prior to your cardio (which you may already be doing).

As you progress you will probably find it best to lift and do cardio on separate sessions, i.e., lift on one day, and then do your cardio the next. For example, I currently lift on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and do cardio on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Or you could do your resistance training at a morning session at the gym, and then your cardio session in the afternoon.

In fact, I expect that I will be doing that on several days during the week, once I get past week 4 of my programme and the HIIT sessions increase to 4-5 times a week.

To be honest though, it's entirely up to you ... but something you shouldn't really do is resistance training on consecutive days, as your muscles do need time to recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
I'm curious about the "Russian twist" and the "inchworm" (the latter sounds like something my trainer showed me yesterday)

Ball Bridge/Russian Twist
Lie on your back on a Swiss ball so that your shoulders are on the ball, your heels are on the floor, and your body forms a straight line from shoulders to heels. You want your arms straight out to you sides and perpendicular to your body. You should feel a good contraction in your glutes and hamstrings. Hold for 15-30 seconds.
Then go into a Russian twist: your shoulders are on the ball, your knees are bent and your feet are flat on the floor. Raise your hips, so your body forms a straight line from shoulders to knees. Now twist your upper body to the left, with your head turning so your eyes follow your hands. Return to the starting position and repeat to your right side. Keep your lower body as motionless as possible.

Inchworm
Stand with your feet together, bend straight over and put your hands on the floor just in front of your feet. Slowly walk your hands forward until you body is as elongated as you can make it, with your weight balanced on your toes and hands. Now walk your feet back up to your hands until your feet and hands are both flat on the floor again. Perhaps a couple of yoga positions would give a better visual: slowly walk your hands forward until you are in Downward Dog, and then walk your hands further forward into Plank.