View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 09:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/186/175
BF:
Progress: 76%

The tone in this article is strongly anti-meat in my opinion. From start to finish the focus is on limiting the intake of animal protein.

To quote the article with emphasis added “In comparison to the key approaches for an effective prevention of diabetic nephropathy – the optimization of blood pressure and glycaemic control – the association of protein intake to the progression of nephropathy is MUCH WEAKER.” Also, “…in the study we could show that the trend of AER (urinary albumin excretion rates) was particularly pronounced in patients WITH HPERTENSION AND/OR ELEVATED HbA1c values.”

Yet the conclusion they reach is that Type I diabetics need to limit their intake of meat. The message I get from this is that bloodpressure and bloodsugar control is much more important than the limitation of protein intake. If eating more animal protein and fat allows you to meet these goals, as suggested by Dr. Bernstein, then you are better off health wise than limiting the intake of animal protein and fat at the risk of elevated bloodpressure and poor glycaemic control, which is so common on a high-carbohydrate, low-meat diet.

Regardless, dietary fat should be providing the bulk of your calories (Type I or otherwise), not protein and definitely not carbohydrate.

Alan