View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 01:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/190/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default More details on protein intake for Type I

Maybe I have been too hasty, so for reasons of conclusiveness I provide you a bit more information on this article; it's title is "Protein intake -New evidence for its role on diabetic nephropathy" by Monika Toeller & Anette E. Buyken from the Clinical Department, Diabetes Research Institute at the Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany. You need Acrobat Reader in order to download from the provided link the copy of the Nephrology Dialysis Transplant. journal which also includes other articles; the aforementioned is located at page 14 of your Acrobat document. The link is:

http://ndt.oupjournals.org/cgi/reprint/13/8/1926.pdf

The case of Dr. Bernstein is well known and I have no doubt regarding the validity of his arguments as far as his own health is concerned. As a Type I myself I have read the book and I am following a lot of his very useful recommendations. Nevertheless, the sole case of one individual cannot provide substantial evidence on the efficacy of the recommendations included in his book. Futhermore, Dr. Bernstein has failed to provide so far statistical analysis regarding the validity of his hypothesis i.e. that a high protein intake for IDDM patients does not affect their AER (albumin excretion rates) to a malignant degree, or at least I am not aware of such a publication in any medical journal. Please advise me if I am wrong...

In contrast, the above mentioned article is based on the study of 2886 IDDM patients accross several European countries, called EURODIAB Complications Study, designed to explore risk factors for diabetic complications, in which nutritional intake has been assesed in >2800 IDDM patients. As quoted in this article "pressumably, due to the size of the stratified sample could we demonstrate a clear assosiation between AER and protein intakes, which former smaller studies were not able to identify."

Finally, the opening comment of this article definitively agrees with Dr. Bernstein's basic beliefs: "Blood pressure and glycaemic control are well established factors influencing the development and progression of diabetic nephropathy." The question not statistically proved by Dr. Bernstein is whether a high protein intake for a Type I patient might be hazardous for her kidneys, as measured by the AER. Maybe Dr. Bernstein's kidneys are super kidneys and after 40 years of hazard they managed to maintain their efficacy, but maybe mine are not... Why should I risk it?

Any ideas?