View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I appreciate the responses, especially Karen's idea of giving back. I also want to mention that I don't really expect a "solution" to this problem. I'm going to be a bit radical on some issues and I hope you won't be so offended that you shun the discussion.

First, some of you are assuming that every patient has a choice. That's not true. I have lived in towns so small that there was only one doctor available - and he was a bad doctor. I have lived in places where there were other doctors available, but I had no transportation at the time and could only reach specific providers. There have been times when something horrible happened and I wasn't even awake or aware for the "care" I received. So, being completely educated and/or choosing carefully are great, in theory, but they won't save you every time.

Second, some of these providers have been doing great harm. I'm not the only victim. Some doctors are more harmful to people than rapists. Why, again, do we blame the victim? Yes, sure, we need to TRY to be informed and careful, but when one of these practicioners makes multiple mistakes, ruins many people's lives, shouldn't it be easier to get them out of the business? And, speaking specifically of examples like LC dieting, why does it take SO MUCH EFFORT to get even a few to listen? Why is it ok that - right this very minute - lives are being destroyed by doctors who are Low FAT enthusiasts? Yes, I know that life isn't fair, but shouldn't doctors be part of the solution rather than the problem?

I think part of my anger is because I lost my mother to this same illness, an illness that might have been cured and given her more time, an illness caused by the medical "care" she received. Anyway, the anger is more mellow than it used to be, but sometimes still overwhelming to me. Thanks for your help.