#7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default You can leave carbs behind and still get fiber

For me, the downfall of the Atkins Diet aways was the "slow bowel transit time" and a general "toxic" feeling. I know that toher people do not experience that feeling. For my part, once I learned that fiber does not count as as carbs, I've struggled to develop carbohydrate analogues using protein and fiber to get the fiber up.

That process has actually turned into a business, and I now supply people in my local Vancouver Area with a high protein low "effective" carb bread and baking mix.

The challenge has been that making bread out of protein make a very expensive loaf and most people balk at spending 4 or 5 times the amount for bread that has 4 to 5 times the protein efficiency of regular bread.

Anyway for you folk not in range of Vancouver, I offer this very simple recipe for crunchy fibre crackers.

Blend until thickened 350 ml of water with 2 tablespoons of Vital Wheat Gluten (protein) and 1 Tablespoon of Chickpea flour, adding salt and a non-aspartame sweetener to taste.
Add 100 ml Oat Bran, 70 ml Wheat Bran, and 70 ml of other fibers such as a mix of Psyllium husks, Rice Bran and defatted ground Flax.
Mix thoroughly and spread on a cookie sheet treated with a non-stick spray. Score the dough where you want the crackers to separate. Bake at just under 325 for about an hour. Serve with a spread made from 1/2 MCT Oil 1/4 Coconut Butter and 1/4 Dairy Butter.

There is a minor drawback to this recipe that I learned sometime after creating it: Oat Bran is relatively high in available carbohydrates. If you can reduce the amount the oat bran without upsetting the texture too much it's worth experimenting.

For Ferrando Bread I've mostly switched to Oat Fiber (made from the husk instead of the that is about 87% insoluble fiber. I've not seen this ingredient available in food stores as it seems to be one of those products that are only available in commercial quantities. Just be careful with the oat bran if you can't find oat husk fiber.

Ferrando