Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 10:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: okay, need clarification:

Quote:
Originally posted by mnokat
What's a strip set, and a super set, and a static set vs. a static contraction, and a drop set?

Ah the lingo, ain't it fun?

Rest Pause: You begin by reaching failure on an exercise. Once you have accomplished this, you will rest a few seconds and then continue the set until you reach failure again. The key, however, is to rest as shortly as is possible. The exercise will dictate the form of rest pause you implement. For exercises like Chin-Ups, you can do your reps, let go of the bar, rest momentarily, and then attempt to force out some more. For biceps curls, you can allow the weight to hang in front of you, and for squats, you can actually rest pause, by simply standing and locking your legs.

Emphasize the negative : The key is to literally focus an entire workout on the eccentric portion of a repetition. This would also be known as the negative aspect of the lift. The positive takes place when you lift a weight, the negative is where you lower it. And through studies, this has been shown to stimulate the highest amount of growth in the target muscle group. Normally we just take one second to lift a weight and one to two to lower it. In this case you would take much longer (3 to 5 seconds) when lowering the weight. By emphasizing the negative you will increase the micro tears in your muscles. This not a technique to use every workout.

Static Contractions: Static contraction entails pushing a muscle against resistance into a peak contraction and then maintaining that peak contraction for an extended period of time preferably lasting 5-30 seconds. For example, lets say that I am using the pec deck. When I reach the point in which my arms are touching and I can not contract my chest any further I have reached a peak contraction for this particular exercise. A Static Set is simply one rep at a slighlty lower weight held for 30 seconds after a regular set to failure.

Strip and Drop sets are similar, call them Descending sets: You begin by reaching failure with a weight, as soon as you hit failure, lessen (strip / drop) the weight, and then continue the set until failure is reached again. Drop the weight twice its a double drop set, do it 3 times and it's a tripple drop set. Etc.

Supersets: Supersetting two exercises means you do two exercises for either the same muscle group or a complimentary one in rapid succession with no rest. You can superset one armed tricep extension with tricept kickbacks. You would do your set of extenstions for one arm then go directly to kickbacks, with no rest. You rest your left arm while your right arm is working. This greatly speeds up your workout and gives the muscles a good working over. Then there are Giant Sets ; 3 exercises instead of 2!

There are tonnes more ways to shock your muscles into growth, you can read up on them at ABC , under "Workouts, shocking principles"

HTH
Nat