#403   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 15:46
Registered Member

Plan: 6-12-12
Stats: 184.5/175/120 Female 5 feet
BF:way too much!
Progress: 15%

Quote:
As people who are beginning to address our overweight/obesity the slap in the face posed by this question can be helpful. You can only survive obesity by adapting to it. Adaptation strategies include acceptance of a higher weight, denial, refusal to weigh yourself or look at yourself in a mirror and various forms of rationalisation. I was quite shocked to find out I had a BMI of over 30 (actually I had a BMI of 34 !!!!!). I think you need various coping mechanisms including some degree of lack of reality to maintain your self esteem.

Jarmin-you said it so well. That's exactly my problem and Im sure I have plenty of company. All of the other reasons.....bad american diet, lack of fruits, veges, etc....are all just excuses. The word is DENIAL. I have been living in it for the past twenty years and Im glad Im finally out.

Society keeps trying to convince us that there is a quick fix, a magic pill, or some way to lose weight without doing the obvious....And we have all bought it at one time or another.

We all know that you have to your change your diet and get off your butt and exercise. Give up the chips for good and don't look back. The typical American diet is horrendous and if you want to be healthy, you have to live out of the mainstream. Its not easy, but necessary to be in good health.

There are a select few that can handle the typical american diet, but from the looks of it, not many. I work in a hospital. 25 years ago, most of the patients were easy to lift, wore regular sized gowns, and anything over 160 pounds was considered big. Now its the norm. The extra large gowns and pants are the most used sizes, the people who invent the mechanical patient lifts are making a fortune and the nurses and techs all have bad backs from lifting obese people. Things have changed. You can choose to be a part of it or not. I look at obese people every day and the health nightmares they have become and that still didn't cure me of the very same lifestyle. I had to be diagnosed diabetic and lose part of my eyesight for the message to hit home.

The sad thing is.....once you realize you need to change and actually do, you find that its not so tough and you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.