View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 13:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi quietone. I use my light box at work, I'm lucky in that I have my own office, so it sits on my desk next to my computer. People are in and out all the time, so it caused lots of comments and questions last winter and I just explained straight. Folk are just used to it now. I'm a vice principal at a school, so when I'm teaching I don't get to use it, but I seem to manage if I use it 3 or 4 days out of the 5 - and sometimes I only get half an hour here and half an hour an hour later on. The box stays at work, so at weekends I just make sure I get outside for a good walk.

The low carb if anything has improved matters cos its stabilised my blood sugar (I am also hypoglycaemic), since the highs and lows also added to my depression and general bad feeling.

The cardio definitely makes a difference to me and I've seen articles where its advocated for general depression too.

Some things say you have to work quite hard, I guess its different for different folk. I know my DH has to run or cycle pretty hard for the exercise to make him feel better - for him, mild cardio doesn't work. For me it does (or maybe I'm just so much unfitter than him, my 'mild' jogs are actually working my body as hard as his runs work his! )

The other thing I've seen advertised, from the reputable UK company where I got my lightbox, though I have no personal knowledge of its effectiveness, is a light visor.
It looks like a sun visor, only it has lights below the peak, which shine into the top of your eyes. The idea is you put it on and wear it as you do your morning jobs (presumably not the shower!) so you don't have to find the time to sit still in front of a box. Might be worth a look?

Hope you find somethings that work, take care, Jay