#399   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 08:20

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Levi has not been here for over 4 years.

And I, for one, would really, really like to see this thread die a natural death. Levi was a troll who started this thread only to stir up our members. JMHO

Rosebud

Hahahaha...This thread has been around for as long as I can remember.

Zer,

I think we can all empathize with the situation regarding your tale. There’s an old saying that “pretty” people tend to get better results, which is a reflection of our society’s present values.

Naturally, I’m not suggesting it’s right. As an individual, we don’t create the rules in which society is governed (especially subjective opinions that can never be governed or legislated upon, nor should they be) but have to live within them. Irrespective of my or your personal disdain or philosophical views on how “my” present society judges the worth of a person upon first impressions, we must choose to either live within or outside of societal acceptances.

There is nothing wrong with being overweight (as it relates to personal choice, I’m not commenting on whatever health issues that may or may not exist allegedly associated with being overweight). In my view, so long as it doesn’t infringe on another, a person ought to have every right to live his life as he deems fitting. Ideally, one would think our society has evolved to the point where it should be perfectly acceptable to make personal choices against societal norms while suffering no repercussions, especially professional ones, from those respective choices. Sadly, having been a part of corporate America all of my adult working life, I can unequivocally declare this is not the case, especially as it relates to some of the more senior positions.

Just as in the case of every minority having to adjust to the majority’s whims, a person should be cognizant of societal views and adjust accordingly based on the preferences of his goals in life.

Being obese or thin is not wrong, and both are perfectly valid personal choices. If a person opts to be “larger,” it’s a perfectly good choice, so long as he realizes, accepts, and is prepared to deal with some of society’s negative connotations attached to being overweight.

With kindest regards,

Frederick