Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 07:25
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
I think people should know that in many place in the world, fat people are poor and rich people are thin. That is the way it is. Poor people must depend on a diet of starch. I was thinking of native americans and Mexicans (with their corn based diet) and homeless people. Thin people (at least in the U.S.) can afford a variety of food and excercise (which is a luxury to poor people) The high cost of gyms have closed the door on poor people.

My friend has the option between food stamps vs. the native american 'commodities' (food). If she takes the native option, she gets 3x as much food for her family of four. However, the foods consist of huge amounts of white flour, white rice, white bread, potatoes, pasta, 'processed american cheese food product', breakfast cereals, etc. and they don't get to choose what they get or from healthier options. So she takes the food stamps instead, despite that it limits her a great deal, because then she can buy more meat and whole-grain products etc. for the family.

We were just discussing the other day how ironic this is, research already having indicated the genetic predisposition to real problems with carbs and alcohol in the native population. I joked, "they don't need to shoot the indians anymore, they just need to feed them!"

(I am part native, but off the rolls, so it ain't 'official'. ;-))