View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I read your journal and will post this answer there too. Yes, it CAN happen that you don't lose while staying legal on LC.

You are 75% of the way to your goal. You have lost
120 POUNDS !!!!!! in about 2 years. That's an entire grown person!

This fantastic! You are already down at a weight that I would love to reach. Do you feel better from LC as well as the weight loss?

These plateaus are very hard to bear because it seems unfair. If only we knew the rules by which our body is conducting itself, it would be simple. But we must guess and try new things but basically stay LC. And wait.

From reading your journal, I'd say that the stress of your husband's illness and treatment is having an effect on your body. Worry and fear cause hormone changes (adrenaline, cortisol & others) and these alarm your body, so it becomes reluctant to let go of assets it might need.

You are probably keeping your blood sugars and insulin levels very stable by eating LC, so you are doing the best thing you could for your health and mental stability.

One thought is that you probably should be eating more carbs, not less, to reassure your physical self that the food supply is safe and dependable. Vitamins and supplements will also reinforce your health and deal with the stress. (Vit B is said to be great for stress.)

Right now, losing weight is not the highest priority in your life and if you remove the stress of "needing to lose" and the frustration when you don't, perhaps the body will feel safe enough to let go.

I sometimes find that a high fat day will help me let go of a pound the next day. So I occasionally like twice a month, indulge in a 1/2 cup of whipping cream, whipped up with vanilla and sweetener. It's only 3-5 carbs but almost all fat and I FEEL SO WICKED! And pampered and luxurious. (Just note: if you do it every day, it might result in a gain.)

You've had some difficult things to face in the last while and you have still succeeded in a magnificent loss. Losing weight will come again, but the closer you get to goal, the slower it will be. Some people believe that this slow loss will help to guarantee that you are so firmly an LCer that you will never let yourself regain by going back to a high GI carb way of eating.

All the best.