View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 09:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 280/258/228
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default gym vs home

Main question: I have just a weight bench and adjustable bars and dumbbells at home. Can I do enough at home to drop my gym membership, it runs out in March

Secondary: What exercises can I do at home to maintain appearances with this equipment? I doubt I’d like to lift more than twice a week, and not as long especially when summer comes.

Background: This looks like ‘you get what you pay for’ situation. I joined a gym based 100% on location, downstairs from my job and I think it is relatively cheap although I have not compared other places. The problem, mostly, it’s high on image but low on substance. They have ‘trainers’ but when I asked for a specific workout based on what my goals were, they could only offer vague suggestions to modify their standard lifting schedule. Their training sessions are nothing more then you do a set, they do a set, and two minutes of bull session about the weather or local events. Plus the convenience doesn’t work when you can’t use a locker overnight, and the fitness classes they offer are already filled with older members and a long list ahead of you waiting for a spot.

But enough about that. My main sports are skiing, biking, and hiking. My participation dropped to nothing because of work/school and my weight grew along with it. Now that I’m losing weight and have the time again to do these things, perhaps I don’t need gym exercises to help. But I do like the weight workouts. I’m finally getting stronger from them. I want to be able to continue at home.

Just looking for advice.
Sponsored Links