#6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Sometimes

There is more to it than that. Sometimes we sabotage ourselves. Sometimes we think we have a goal and we reach and try for that goal, but deep inside we don't WANT the goal.

And we don't always realize that.

So our efforts are intense for brief periods of time, we go for it as hard as we can, and as soon as we see progress we get scared and sabotage that progress.

Wow. Why would we do that?

Fear.

Sometimes we are afraid of something, we don't even know what it is, but we are afraid. The weight loss journey we go on is not straight forward. I lost my first 50 pounds in about 8 months and haven't lost much since then, and it has been 2 additional years. At first I thought I was just stalled, made all sorts of reasons up for myself. "this diet doesn't work for me anymore" etc.

Just yesterday after answering "Dr.Phil's questions" below I started to realize how very afraid I am of things in my mind, of the idea that being thin will leave me weak and vulnerable. I've started to realize that I have been self sabotaging for the last 2 years, because I really haven't WANTED to get to goal.

If anyone had suggested that, I probably would have hotly denied it during that 2 years time. But now I wonder.