Registered Member

Plan: Combo Low Carb
Stats: 182/155/140
BF:Don't wanna know!
Progress: 64%
Default High Fat Meal & Ketosis

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud

Eating a high fat meal, being dehydrated, drinking alcohol or just plain not eating enough can put you into ketosis. (Can you tell I think the stix are a waste of time and money )

Rosebud [/B]

Rosebud, can you help me understand this? I have been in ketosis for many weeks and not lost pounds or inches. I have all the symptoms (breath, no cravings, etc.) plus I show positive on the stix. A couple of nights ago I ate more carbs than usual (I'm at 50 g/day and I ate about 75. Stix still showed trace. That particular day I ate a lot more fat than usual too--I made whipped cream and went overboard, plus had a big steak for dinner... Normally I get around 80 grams, and that day 130. (Not that I pay that much attention to fat, but I looked on fitday.com) I felt yucky. Couldn't sleep that night, and I was curious to see if the high fat would give a darker "ketosis" reading on the sticks. Sure enough, it was deep purple--almost black. It kind of confirmed my suspicion that dietary fat can enhance ketosis and it may "seem" that I'm burning lots of fat, but it's just the fat I'm eating. HELP! Should I cut back on fat? So many people say no, but I'm confused. I want to be burning my STORED fat, not the fat I eat! (That will be fine for maintanance, but I'm not there yet!) My stats are similar to yours--do you have insight on this?