View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/232/190
BF:
Progress: 47%

The whole Atkins debate reminds me of the one that occurred when some Australian Doctors first discovered the true cause of most gastric ulcers and that treatment with antibacterial drugs was generally successful. It took a long time for the Medical establishment to accept the idea that Heloibacter pylori was responsible and the poor doctors were fairly severely criticized for a while. In fact, I believe it took 10 years before the truth was finally accepted. A couple of Pharmaceutical companies that sold drugs that alleviated the symptoms, but did not cure the disease, had a strong interest in maintaining a supply of sick patients. I suspect similar, even more powerful forces are at work in the case of the Atkins WOE. A significant portion of the US (and Canadian) economy depends on carbohydrates and the problems associated with their use – just walk into a grocery store, as I am sure you all have, and total up how many of the products are based on carbohydrates. What would happen if everyone quit buying this stuff? On the other hand, think of all the celebrity nutritionists that would be out of business *grin*.