View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 13:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

I'm still kind of torn between whether to tell them, or just do it. At the very least I'll need to get my husband's support, since he's the one bringing in the sugary things these days. We had been drinking only diet sodas with rare exceptions for quite some time (a couple of years?), and last weekend he brought home a case of sugared soda! AND three different types of cookies. As if there wasn't already enough sweet treats in the house with all the Halloween junk.

The kids know I'm going to get rid of the rest of the Halloween candy today (and they're cool with that). Beyond that, I may take a gradual approach--use up what's on hand, then replace with better alternatives. Instead of the "big talk", try to find appropriate moments to explain why I choose not to have carbs, how much better I feel, etc. I may even share the Taubes article with my 16-year old. He's very bright, and may appreciate receiving the info from an "informed source", rather than just from Mom.

Eventually, though, I'll have to make it clear that although I can provide them with healthy, tasty foods at home, they have to make good choices on their own when they are away from home. Unfortunately that's easier said than done. My son actually tried a high-pro diet last year briefly, but could not get an adequate meal in the lunch room. He tried packing his lunch, but had no way to warm anything up, and cold meat just doesn't cut it every day.

What I'm trying to keep in mind with the kids, at least, is that the biggest downfall is simply fast food and processed, pre-prepared, convenience foods.