View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Is it fair to make my house a sugar-free zone?

I'm considering taking a radical approach at my house, and would love to hear some other people's points of view.

My husband and I have not set a good example for our kids. We both come from obese parents, raised on meat & taters. He and I are both obese, and so is our 16-year old son. Our 11-year old daughter is slightly overweight.

I've been on Atkins for a couple of months now, and I fully believe that a modified/low carb approach is healthy for everyone. I am considering doing some housecleaning, and tossing all white flour, sugar, and processed foods containing them. Since I don't want to force-feed this program to the rest of the family, I would provide them with carbos, but in the form of veggies, whole grains, potatoes (with skin), and brown rice. (Basically the way I hope to eat after reaching my weight goal.)

Is this too extreme? I'd like to say, "this is how we eat in this house", regardless of whether they pick up a burger while out with friends. On the other hand, I don't want them to feel "deprived", and react by overeating whenever they have the chance.

If you are a wife and mother, and, usually the one in control of what food comes into the house and goes to the table, is it your right to make the decisions for the rest of the family?

Tami
Sponsored Links