View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 19:28

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 59%

I think that what the Taubes' article boils down to is that it's not necessarily the carbohydrates that are the enemy, it is the *processed* carbos, i.e. refined flour and sugar and all the many fast/convenience foods made up of them that are, in fact, our enemies. Taubes quotes David Ludwig, a Harvard endocrinologist, saying, "Green vegetables, beans and whole grains cause a much slower rise in blood sugar because they have fiber, a nondigestible carbohydrate, which slows down digestion and lowers the glycemic index. "

However, Taubes also discusses the impact of ketosis, which is "energizing", "makes the body run more efficently", and which reduces the sense of hunger.

So, my interpretation of all of this is that a healthy diet is one which is comprised of protein, fat, vegetables, fruits and unprocessed, whole carbohydrates in moderate quantities. (Just as Dr. Atkins recommends in the later stages of the program.) *However* if you are in a position of having to *LOSE* weight (partly because of society's continued "low-fat" rhetoric), then you need to consider striving for ketosis, which means lowering your carbos considerably, at least for a time.

That's my theory, anyway....

Tami