Thread: Doctor pressure
View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 12:59

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/218/137
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks for your kind responses. I bought Dr. Bernstein's book right after my diagnosis and am firmly convinced of the logic of his program and his personal and professional success. My BS is in the high normal range - avg. 107 without any meds. However, post-prandial (2 hours) goes as high as 116-118. This is good according to ADA, but Bernstein says the goal is to have no change, and this I am not managing even with my low carb level. I am consuming around 20 grams of carbs per day. Obviously, if I use the ADA diet, I won't be able to even maintain these BS levels without medication. I don't know what my blood pressure is today. The day of my diagnosis, I was 142/80, which is high for a diabetic. I have an appointment with a new doctor this week, and I'll see what that looks like after a little over a month low-carbing, weight loss and two weeks into my exercise program. I would so love to have a doctor's support, but so far the ones I've seen are using scare tactics and conservative mainstream methods. Thank God for all you folks ---- you really reinforce my resolve to hang in with what I'm doing. If I don't find someone locally soon to work with me on this program, I am seriously considering traveling the two hours to Dr. Bernstein's diabetes center. Insurance coverage may be an issue, but I would feel a lot better having some kind of medical support. This is all new to me, and I'm damn scared of the complications I'll face if I don't keep normal blood sugars on a consistent basis.

I love you guys!

Janet