View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 11:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

shandyAndy's post is thought-provoking. It demonstrates that the low-carb way of eating is not a religious dogma, but rather an approach based on several scientific disciplines (endocrinology and evolutionary biology, to name two). As such, there are important differences of opinion among low-carb theorists and practitioners--and that is the sign of a vibrant approach, rather than of a stagnant one.

To point out one difference: Schwarzbein, an endocrinologist, stresses the need to balance our diet using all three food groups (fats, proteins, carbs) in order to balance our hormones. This is appears to be at odds with the evolutionary perspective of the Eadeses (PPLP), who believe no carbs are necessary. If our ancestors prior to 10,000 years ago had no grains at all and fruits and vegetables only part of the year, how did they balance their hormones? Did they need to? Is this not as important as Schwarzbein believes?

I don't know. Who's right? Again, I don't know.

A valid question is raised by the post. The evolutionary way at looking at things has certainly earned its stripes in many areas, from biology to political economy. Therefore evolutionary explanations always deserve serious attention. But that doesn't mean they are always correct. I can't see a reason to rule out the possibility that some food developed in the last 10,000 years is good for human beings. (Some low-carb advocates praise dairy products. Did our ancestors have them before they started farming?) It's just possible that we developed something that happens to be in harmony with our genetic makeup. Scientific investigation ought to be able to tell us so.

At least that's how it seems to me. I'm eager to hear counterarguments.

The point is that the study of nutrition is a life-long process. We'll probably never reach Final Truth. We can't know what we will discover tomorrow. All we can do is act on the best evidence we have today, understanding that tomorrow may force us to make some revisions.

This doesn't mean we can't be confident about anything. But some philosophical humility is always in order.

Sheldon