View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:46

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

The issue with eating protien alone has more to do with the adrenal glands than with the insulin problem. So if someone has healthy adrenal glands and insulin sensitive, eating protien alone should not be a problem. The same goes with eating fruit alone. I know I have had adrenal burn out in the past, I would say healing now, and I'm most likely Insulin Resistant, so I do believe I have to be very, very careful there. I don't agree with limiting protein as she suggests, I find when I have done that on the Low fat, Low protien plans I crave protein very much and I need it very much. I eat what my body tells me to on that end, and I do better that way.
As to the milk, many people do have problems with it, and I'm sure limiting it is to help heal sensitivities. I do agree that milk is good and can help many, many things. I find that low carbing I would rather have my carbs in a fiber source than in a non fiber source so that is the choice I make, but my kids and my hubby can drink milk, and I buy whole milk, not 2%. I have actually found them all drinking less milk than we ever did before and if I'm not careful we are wasting it. . (They can have all the milk they want so they are limiting it on their own.)
I agree with the cheese issue, cheese has been around for years and other cultures have done well with these good aged cheese. I eat lots of cheese so I hope I balance my calcium intake that I used to get drinking milk by that. I have noticed in other threads that cheese can cause a stall, so maybe that is what she is seeing that stalls happen when lots of cheese is consumed.
I do wish she would state more of what she sees in practice to explain her reasons, I think that would help greatly in understanding where she is coming from. I do like the new book but I'm still following to old book outline, I figure that is what I need the most at the time. I think the new book is good to help people who may have a normal system in one aspect and not in another and they are having trouble with their goals. It may just fine tune it a bit more.
I had chili last night, lots of legumes and I had my first bout of heartburn since I started LC, so I still have to limit those. Obviously there is more to carbs than the gycemic effect. My heartburn was the first thing I noticed to leave when I started this just last July.
One other note, it sounds like the idea with the Insulin resistant diet is similar to body for Life in the balancing carbs and protien? Is that right spirit? My doctor told me that if I did that I would need to increase the protien and decrease the carb for my particular situation. (not trying to debate here, just trying to gather info. The more info the better in my opinion. The best thing with all these different plans is that there seems to be something for everyone and their lifestyles.)
Tanya