#9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 205/175/170
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Jakebabe...

I would post menus, but honestly, my eating is so varied from day to day...here is what my eating is based on according to the principles in the Insulin Resistance Diet.

I never eat more than two carb servings per meal. You can't eat carbs alone, you have to balance the carbs with two protein servings. You can eat less carbs. In fact for me, the less carbs the better, although I do enjoy my carbs throughout the day.

For example, if I eat two slices of bread for breakfast (2 carb servings, or 30 g. carb), I must balance it with 2 protein servings (say maybe 2 oz. cheddar cheese for 14 g. protein).

You can eat protein alone, unlike Schwarzbein who now tells you not to, but you can't eat carbs alone. Makes sense, as the fat and protein in protein foods lowers the glycemic index in the carbs.

Oh, there's a two hour "fat storing" window the authors discuss, where once you eat your carbs and protein, that's it for carbs for two hours. They explain how in this period of time, your body will convert the carbs to fat if you keep eating and od'ing on carbs.

I know it sounds confusing, I'm not the best at explaining these things, but it's really a very easy concept, one the authors call "link and balancing."

There is no limit on protein, but of course limits on carbs per meal.

The book is an easy read, unlike Schwarzbein's newest baby.

Oh, milk and all dairy products are allowed in unlimited quantities, as are legumes, due to their high fiber and low glycemic values. Of course I don't go around drinking two quarts of milk a day, but it's nice to know I can pour a glass of milk to drink with my low carb flax cake (yum), and not stress over the carbs.

Milk and cheese are allowed this way because of their low glycemic index, the protein content balancing whatever carb content there is.

All veg except starchy ones like potatoes and corn, are allowed in unlimited quantitites and encouraged for their fiber and phytochemicals (cancer fighting properties). This part I really enjoy, since I'm a "quantity" eater. That was what I really enjoyed about Schwarzbein's plan as well.

The authors encourage low fat eating, but just ignore them and focus on the "link and balance" way of eating carbs with protein.

I love this way of eating. I can really eat anything I want, it's just a new way of eating it, always balancing my carbs with proteins. For example I went over someones home for dinner. They had cornish game hen, potatoes, salad and dessert. I had brought broccoli with low carb cheese sauce. So I had the game hen, maybe half a big potato, my broccoli with sauce, and I skipped dessert (icecream). I didn't feel deprived. I really wanted that potato, I ate it and didn't feel deprived at all.

Of course the book does a much better way of explaining it, and it's really less complicated than I'm making it. Just remember to ignore all the awful low fat recommendations. The book would be perfect if not for that, but we all tweak our plans anyway!

I really think you'll enjoy the book. It's a program you can really live with.

I like to think of this program as a cross between low glycemic index eating (like Sugar Busters), and reduced carbing.

It works for me.