View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 18:02

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/218/137
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Doctor pressure

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about a month ago. The doctor immediately started me on 2mg Amaryl. Ironically, I found out I was diabetic because I wanted to start the Atkins diet and thought I'd follow his recommendation to get a pre-diet blood test. When the results came back, the doc broke the bad news. I started the diet because I believed, and still do, that it was EXACTLY the kind of WOE I needed as a diabetic. As I read more and more about treatment, I was disturbed to learn that Amaryl stimulated my pancreas to constantly produce insulin (just GREAT for an overweight diabetic) and on my next appointment, asked to talk about changing my medication to metformin. Her response to me was that if I didn't like the medication she prescribed, I should stop taking it, leave the office and go see an endocrinologist. That was the best advice she'd given me since she diagnosed me. By chance, I discovered my local hospital has a Diabetes Care Center, and I made an appointment with an endocrinologist, but I can't get in to see her until Dec. 2. In the meantime, they suggested I take their Diabetes Self Management course, which I just took today. I received excellent information and answers to many of my questions. THEN came the second half of the course, with a nutritionist. Well, it will come as no surprise to many of you that they take the ADA approach to diet----45 grams of carbs PER MEAL. I was horrified! They're telling me that my protein and fat intake is putting a strain on my cardiovascular system, and I do understand that as a diabetic, I am at great risk for heart problems. Since I've only been on this WOE for a month (13lbs lost, BTW), I don't know if my lipids have changed. I understand that can take some months. I'm a little afraid of the pressure they're putting on me to change my evil ways, and if my numbers can't support my diet choice, how will I be able to argue? I was told that if my cholesterol is high (it was 234 a month ago), they would prescribe medication. Should I just have faith that this WOE will improve my lipid numbers? Has this been a common experience? They've got me afraid that I'll stroke out!
Sponsored Links