#9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 13:14

Plan: yo-yo
Stats: 230/190/175 Male 5'10"
BF:no clue
Progress: 73%
Default Excess

Hi all,
I think this is an interesting question.

My first response to the post was to laugh. It was pretty funny in that "jeez we're all human after all" sort of way.

But I too debated on whether or not to hand out candy. I chose to...good old tootsie pops. The kids get such a kick out of being ooo'd and ahhh'd over in their costumes.

Part of me remembered how much fun I had as a kid going door-to-door. On the other hand I ate way to much candy as a kid. And today's kids are much more obese than 30-40 years ago.

I spent some of last night at a friend's house. She lives on a street where thousands of kids go trick-or-treating (my street just gets a handful).

I was amazed at the number of kids who were grossly obese. And it was they who most often grabbed handfuls of candy. Obesity and lack of manners seemed rampant, though not necessarily co-joined.

Awful sad commentary. Sadder were some of the parents..often with beers and smokes in their hands.

And yet plenty of kids will eat all that candy without bad effect.

So I am torn on Halloween. We are definitely setting up some of these kids for diabetes, obesity etc. Especially since Thanksgiving and Christmas is just around the corner.

I wonder if we could turn Halloween into an opportunity to collect money for charities. Or food for the food banks.

Not sure. It's a loaded issue. And worth thinking about.

Still....thanks for the chuckle Frumble. And the opportunity to rethink the traditions of our culture.