#14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-06, 06:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve
I'm seeing a trend here, just as I have seen on other low-carb oriented forums. When being brutally honest, event the most hard core low carb supporters admit the necessity of significant carb consumption to perform in the real world. When I say "real world" I'm talking about the challenges faced by much of the population. Most do not have the luxury to go down to Whole Foods Market and buy the latest grass fed beef and high omega 3 eggs. They do blue collar work, busting their ass all day on a construction site or running for 10 hours in a busy production kitchen. Ever try going low carb under those conditions? I assure you it doesn't work. However, you can do low carb when you don't do anything really stressful or when you're sitting on the sofa watching doctor Phil....try taking it for a test drive in the real world.

There are plenty of high-exercise low carbers -- there is a forum of them on this website, in fact. However, that's not to say I disagree with you about heavy exercise and carbohydrates. I'm not sure it's necessary to have them, but it probably isn't optimal. I know that I spent a weekend in May helping my father in law install an aboveground pool, and it was brutal work (shoveling, hauling sand, etc.) I was more challenged than I thought I'd be, and got lightheaded at times. I didn't get lightheaded doing hard physical labor when I was 100 pounds heavier and eating carbs.

I typically have way more energy now, but there is no doubt that for very hard labor, I need more fast energy than I usually do. If I worked on a road crew, I doubt I could eat this way. I wouldn't need to go to a high carb diet, but I'd definitely need to add some. Would I trade it based on this? No. This has been good for me in a number of ways and it is how I intend to eat the rest of my life.

You do tend to project your personal experience to other people. You can handle more carbs than I can. Be thankful for that.

(Ignoring the arrogant comment about Dr. Phil - I work a full time job, a freelance business, raise a daughter, help my family, and remodel my house, and have little time for television or judgmental ignorance).

-Scott