View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
Stats: 150/?/135
BF:?
Progress: 0%

Ditto to what Lisa said about "fat burners" and "metabolizer." In my opinion, a big waste of money: LC is the most effective fat burner, and doing weight training to gain lean muscle mass is really the only way to increase your metabolism. Also, alot of these products that claim to "burn" fat or alter your metabolism contaim ephedra, which carries a high risk of causing fatal cardiovascular problems.
As for "carb blockers"--I wish! I'm an insulin-dependant diabetic, and believe me, if such a thing really existed, I'd be taking it. What these "carb blockers" are are mostly fibers (such as chitosan or guar gum) and/or herbs (such as gymnema sylvestra and garcinia cambogia/citrin). While these things may somewhat slow down the absorption of glucose by your body (and that depends alot on dosage and other factors), the overall effect (which is measurable if you test your blood glucose levels as often as I do), is not enough to compensate for the body's reaction to a heavy dose of carbs. Some of these fibers can be helpful in reducing cholesterol, but the same benefit can be gotten much more cheaply by adding some ground flax seed to your diet--also, most people who lose weight on LC also experience a beneficial effect on their lipid profiles.
Remember: when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Significant weight loss--as you have seen with your own success with LC'ing--only really comes with significant effort (or something really unhealthy, like chain-smoking. Or, in my case, diabetic ketoacidosis).
So, stay with what you're doing--and save your money for filet mignon!!!