Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 11:57
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post Dear Prudence column

Dear Pru,
I was a severely overweight woman. A very low-carbohydrate/high-protein diet (Atkins) has been my lifeline. My problem is that the conventional wisdom says my diet is bad for your health. Believe me—being as fat as I was and still am is worse! I am under the care of a physician, and all is proceeding quite well. My problem is that as soon as people comment on my shed tonnage, they ask me how I have done it. When they hear the approach I am using, they immediately tell me how bad it is for my health and how I will just gain it all back eventually. I must admit my responses to this repeated question are getting sharper and snippier. I've always felt guilty about being fat. Now people make me feel guilty for eating a steak instead of pasta salad. HELP ME!

—Skinny-Minnie To Be

Dear Skin,
It is a too common failing that, for some reason, people feel it is their right, if not their duty, to comment on all kinds of things that are not their business. If you can accept this, you will be less annoyed. As for a retort, simply say that you are under a physician's care and are making real progress. Should the dietitians-at-large pursue the conversation, then ask them why they are sticking with a subject you plainly have no interest in discussing. This will put the burden on them—where it belongs. Prudie wishes you continued progress.

—Prudie, healthily
Sponsored Links