#32   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 07:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/190 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Most anthropologists believe that Native Americans came to North America via an ice bridge over the Bering Strait when they followed herds of game during the last ice age (late paleo). Their diet varied as did all humans upon the climate. However, as far as I can tell, they never inhabited places that were completely without vegetation including the far north. How could they? The very herds upon which they were dependent needed vegetation. You could perhaps make a case for the Inuits living on a mostly meat (seal whale, fish) diet, but even then they most likely did and still do eat some vegetation (berries), albeit far less than their cousins to the south.

As far as Native Americans who inhabited what we now call the United States, they ate nuts, roots, tubers and berries and even boiled the bark from some trees.

Think of it THIS way----how in the world could humans ever begin to CULTIVATE plants if they never ate wild plants in the first place???

Or maybe to put it better--WHY would ancient humans ever come up with the idea of cultivating plants if they never ate wild ones?

ADAPTABILITY is the keyword when it comes to the evolution and survivability of various species including humans. Whether adapting agriculture will lead to the survivability of our species or not is yet to be known, isn't it?

Personally I don't care even in the slightest what people ate 50 years ago or 5000 years ago. I feel like I know what I need to eat to accomplish my goals. Mostly I was curious if you modified your diet to more closely match what people have done in the past.