Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 12:56

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally posted by nawchem
More questions for ZC

for reduced sugar fruits on pg 49 of A Week In The Zone I bought canned fruit that was packed in its juice and the other in light syrup. It that what "reduced sugar" means?

The oranges end up being 15 carbs and the pineapple 20. So I think these meals end up being more then I am supposed to eat. By the calculations I should be eating the minimum for women. Also I thought the snacks were what they were calling dessert. This seems to be plenty of food, do you think I should add the snacks too?

When I last had my bodyfat measured I have 94lbs of lean weight.

Thanks,
Nancy

Hello Nancy,

My WitZ book is currently out on loan, so I am not exactly sure of the reference. Fresh and frozen fruits are more zone favorable than canned. When choosing canned fruits, pick those pack in its own juice or other juices. A label of reduced sugar or "light" only means there's less sugar used in the processing than that company's regular process. Dr. Sears recommends choosing fruits lower on the glycemic index scale as often as possible. Pineapple is quite high on the scale, however there's nothing wrong with having it as an occasional treat. Remember to balance each meal. A 3 block meal is 21g protein, 27g carb and 9g fat.

Snacks are also balanced ~ 1 block ie: 7gP, 9gC, 3gF . They are very important in keeping in the Zone. A typical female on an 11 block plan would have 3 meals and 2 snacks although you can break your meals up any way you want. If you want to break your meals up into 2 blocks and have more snacks, that's fine, as long as you have 11 blocks. Just remember to follow the basic rules :
•Always eat within one hour after waking.
•You must eat a minimum of 3 meals and 2 snacks every day. Afternoon and late evening snacks are critically important for staying in the Zone.
•A Zone meal should give you 4-5 hours in the Zone, a Zone snack 2-2.5 hours. You must eat every 4-5 hours after a meal or 2-2.5 hours after a snack, whether you are hungry or not, to stay in the Zone. In fact, the best time to eat is when you aren't hungry. That means your insulin levels are stabilized.
•Lack of hunger and clear mental focus are excellent barometers that you are in the Zone.
•Drink (AT LEAST) eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.
•Exercise on a regular basis.
I hope this helps.