Old Sun, May-21-06, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheneas
Not strictly true, humans continue to produce the digestive enzyme lactase throughout their lives which is used to break down lactose in dairy food so not only infants benefit from milk products. I don't know why we do but we just do. Those who are 'lactose intolerant' (an overly misused common selfdiagnosis of the modern age) may simply have reduced production of lactase.

I never said adults could not digest dairy nor did I say we could not utilize it. I said it was not neccessary after infancy. For all I know cows produce lactase all their lives too, but I have never heard of an adult cow still nursing its mother. While it is true that most humans nursed their offspring much longer in the past than they do today (some up to 5 years of age), I doubt that adult humans still nursed the lactating women in their tribes (but ya never know! ). Seriously, milk from non-human sources was probably not used by humans until they domesticated animals during Neolithic times. That means that the earliest humans did not drink milk after they were weaned in childhood.

ps: Just think of cats for an example. Domesticated cats would never drink milk after they were weaned unless humans gave it to them or they were starving and just accidentally happened upon a bowl of milk. The same is true of all mammals. I believe humans are the only mammals that choose to drink milk (use milk products) after they are weaned.