#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Dr. Phil's questions

Kat and I have decided to go through these questions about diet. The idea is that in losing our weight there has to be a mind change along the path. We are going to tackle one a week, and you all are welcome to join us and post your well thought out answers as well if you choose to.

I've already answered them in my Journal for week one, but I will repeat it here:

The Question:
"WEEK 1: YOU EITHER GET IT, OR YOU DON'T

Start getting real. Why do you want to lose weight? Write it down. What are you doing -- or not doing -- to lose weight? Pinpoint ten patterns of living that you have accepted without question. For example: putting off your exercise or snacking when you're not hungry." (From Dr. Phil's website)

My response:
Well this one doesn't resonate with me very much, I'm going to have to give it some thought.

Why do I want to lose weight? hmm. I'm not sure. I know why I did at first, I was uncomfortable in my own body, it didn't feel like me, I couldn't move properly, I didn't feel like I could excercise or do the things I wanted to do. Plus I felt embarrassed to be so fat, felt like I had to hide from cameras.

But now 50 go 60 pounds lighter, I'm going to have to rethink that question. I'm not certain I really DO want to lose weight. That desire part of it isn't as strong as it was when my body was bigger and more uncomfortable. What I DO want is to not GAIN any weight.

I want to be prettier, I want to wear cute clothes and be able to shop in the normal size clothing depts. But I'm sort of there already (although in the larger part of it). I'm not sure if I want to be attractive to the opposite sex or not. It might be fun, but since I'm married it might cause me problems. I don't want to be any more attractive (particularly) to my husband, he already pesters me a lot of the time when I don't want that. It would be nice to feel more attractive during sex, to feel more sexy. But then sex isn't the big deal with me that it used to be, so I don't know if that part really matters that much. Maybe it would be a bigger deal if I felt more confident in the way my body looks, but then again it isn't a big BURNING desire.

Why do I want to lose weight? I hate the way my belly looks. I could be satisfied with the rest of my body, but since you can't spot reduce, I need to lose all over.

What am I doing to lose weight? At the moment? Not a lot. I've been trying to excercise a LOT more and I've been trying to eat reasonably well. I've been researching and learning and trying to apply the things I learn, I've been communicating with other people on the same path. But during times when my desire to lose weiight is low, not many of these thinge help that much.

Ten patterns that I have accepted without question? I doubt if there is ANYTHING in my life that I accept without question. I know I have bad habits, that I can't always break, but I certainly DO question them.

Therefore I will list ten bad habits.
1) skipping meals, particularly not eating early enough (breakfast)

2) eating junk food that I get compulsive about. Not just eating one, but scarfing

3) skipping excercise sessions.

4) spending too much time being inactive (on the computer or on my butt).

5) not leading an active interesting life. allowing boredom and laziness to creep in and filling that void with food.

6) not planning ahead enough, allowing the refrigerator to become empty or the hour to get so late that fast food seems the only alternative

7) allowing myself to fall into an "all or nothing" or a "what's the use?" mindset. Telling myself that today doesn't matter I will get back on track tomorrow.

8) allowing the scale to discourage me.

9) failing to congratulate myself on how far I've come. Only looking at the bad things I do that mess me up, not rewarding myself (mentally) when I'm doing well.

10) comparing myself with other people, thinking that what works for them, should work equally well for me and when it doesn't, explaining it away as that I'm "weak" or not committed enough.

11) being carb addicted and touching them at all, but what hurts me the worst is total binge days, where it seems like everything I eat is the wrong type of thing. Too many of these terrible days and I undo any progress I've made.

I know it was only supposed to be 10, but while I struggled to come up with 10, after re-reading it, it didn't sound honest enough. Number 11 is the biggest, truest part of the problem.

Ok guys now it is your turn, what do you have to say?
Sponsored Links