View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 09:44
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I can only speak of the hunter-gatherers that I have studied in anthropology--the Kung and Sans (bushmen) of the Kalahari Desert in southern Africa. They maintained a primitive hunter-gatherer culture for over 20,000 years, until the 20th century and although there are still a few who live that way, for the most part they have been swallowed up by other African cultures. The Kung and Sans (Bushmen) had little water in the semi-arid Kalahari Desert. Droughts are common in the Kalahari. In fact it is so hot and dry at times that they would have to burrow in the sand and hollow out little nests for themselves like an animal. They would line the little hollowed out space with dry grass or leaves and then pee in it and then lie down in it during the day to keep cool. Since it was too hot a lot of the time to hunt during the day they would have to hunt at twilight or early dawn. Game (mostly rabbits and small antelope) are scarce in the Kalahari and the bushmen might search for days in order to kill one small animal. Their water requirments were met mostly by licking dew off leaves and from bitter melons and other fruit (including wild oranges and plums, small mangoes and berries) that are indigenous to the Kalahari. Tuberous vegetables similar to yams were also a staple. After eating the melons, they made bowls out of the hard melon rinds and caught water from the brief rain showers during the rainy season. Also they buried sealed ostrich eggs filled with water during the wet season and recovered them during the dry season. It is also interesting to note that fat made up approximately 60% of their diet. Their diets consisted of about 15 % protein, 25 % carbs and 60 % fat. Much of the fat in their diet was from nuts they gathered. Drinking anywhere near 64 oz. a day of water would have been impossible for the Bushmen. Sorry to go on and on, but I did a term paper about the Kung/Sans.