View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-02, 18:44

Plan: Atkins/Carb Addicts
Stats: 375/303/225
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Potassium Bicarbonate

I just read an article in this month's Muscle & Fitness where they recommend that bodybuilders and anyone eating a diet heavy in protein take potassium bicarbonate as a supplement. The article suggested 6 grams a day or 3 Alka-Seltzer Gold (not Cold) tablets. The basis for the need for this supplement is that high protein ingestion causes your blood to be very acidic. The potassium bicarbonate acts as a base and levels the PH of your blood. If your blood is very acidic it presents the right enviroment for a number of health issues. I wasn't able to find the supplement, however, I was able to find Alka-Seltzer Gold on-line at drugstore.com. It's inexpensive (less than $5.00 for 36 tablets) and easy to take. I have been taking just 2 tablets a day at bedtime and I notice I don't get heartburn attacks during the night. I've also noticed reduced sweating, no ketosis breath and elimination of what I perceived as a distinct odor related to eating large amounts of protein. I also take 2 tablets at other times during the day if my stomach is upset from something I ate. Has anyone else heard of the need to keep your blood PH in check while on a high protein/low carb diet? Any input regarding the use of potassium biacarbonate and high protein diets?
Sponsored Links