#13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.5/180.4/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Sally

I am new too. I think it is a good idea to start a journal. Everyone has been very encouraging and helpful in answering my questions....Especially Rosebud - so grateful...

As no-one else had answered your questions yet, I thought I might put my 2 cents in...

I don't know much about the other diets. I read a little about Sugar Busters and was left confused like you. For now, I am doing Atkins. I have spoken to a doctor friend who is on it and he has lost a heap and is happy. I described the diet to another friend who is a cardiothorasic surgeon and he couldn't see a problem with doing the induction as long as the high animal fat element wasn't long term. I asked him what his family's diet was like and he pretty much described the life time maintainance part of Atkins. They are all nice and slim. Gotta be something in that.

I prefer a shake first thing, too. It was hard to go to eggs for brekka. I think that after induction you can make shakes with some cream and water and a few berries. I have actually done that a couple of times and it is REALLY good. Guess you could add whatever you want - as long as it is low in carbs - to the drink. Not sure if it is keeping to the rules. Others would know.

I felt yuk for the first 3 weeks - that seems to be longer than most. Feeling fine now. There are lots of good suggestions about that in the newbies stuff.

Regarding fat babies....I read a quote supposedly from a 19th century paediatric text that said that playing with babies was dangerous and that under no circumstances should a parent be tempted to involve the child in the hazardous practice of 'dandling on the knee'. (!!!)They also recommended splinting the arms by the sides at night as a cure for thumbsucking (which is, as we know, a terrible evil). Just goes to show how faddish the medical profession can be. Got to get some commonsense in there somewhere, don't you think?

Personally, I think you should eat the minimum amount of carbs a day. Bound to get a bit lightheaded otherwise, I think. I'd ask around.