Old Tue, May-09-06, 17:25
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Figuring out why we became fat is important. Blame society, blame your mom, blame the low-fat propaganda, blame yourself. I agree that we can take personal responsibility too far if we don't acknowledge that those things play important roles in the creation of the problem.

But the solutions are always within ourselves. We can win over society's messages to look anorexic, mother's admonishments to clean our plate, and low-fat propaganda. Personal responsibility comes in when we realize that it doesn't matter how we got here, the only way out is for us to do it ourselves.

Lament the fact that society didn't love us enough. Lament the fact that your mom didn't have the love/education/money/time/whatever to feed us right. Lament the fact that we are still being fed the low-fat BS all day. But don't let that stop you from doing what you need to do fix the mess those things created in your life.

If you give up and say you "can't" because of society or whatever, that's when I think the personal responsibility has to come into play.

Val

I agree.
You can't change how things are, but ultimately, you have to just work with it and do your best to make yourself happy and overcome any problems. You're not doing anyone, least of all yourself, any favors by pretending otherwise. The existence of adversity does not justify giving up.