View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-09-06, 03:41

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default The best cucumber salad

Growing up, my mom made cucumber salad all the time. It was a staple at our weekly BBQs. I hadn't eaten it in ages, so the other day when I was talking to my mom about apple cider vinger and grass allergies in dogs and she said "Oh, I used to use apple cider vinegar in cucumber salad" the idea was planted. I had to find a recipe!

So I found the attached recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Cucumber Salad which is almost identical to mom's. I knew I had to share this. I loathe cucumbers, but I could live off this stuff. So even if you're anti-cucumber, you should still give it a try!

DUTCH CUCUMBER SALAD

2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced
Salt (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 tsp)
1 small onion, minced, or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt (EDIT: I use full fat sour cream)
1 tsp dried tarragon
Freshly ground pepper

Place the cucumber slices in a colander. Salt them lightly and let them stand for 30 minutes. Pour them out onto several thicknesses of paper towels, and pat out as much moisture as possible.

Combine the cucumbers with the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss to combine thoroughly. Transfer to a serving container to serve. Makes 7 Servings.

Per Serving: 46 Cal; 2 g Total Fat; 5 g Carb; 9 mg Cholesterol; 324 mg Sodium; 2 g Protein. Exchanges: 1 Veg.

http://www.cinnamonhearts.com/PenDu...UCUMBER%20SALAD

Two notes about this recipe:

1. Don't eat it the same day it's made. It's ok, but it's soooooo much better if you let it sit in the fridge at least overnight. That way all the flavors have a chance to blend and it's darn near orgasmic.

2. If you're doing no dairy: While my grandmother made this recipe with sour cream, my mom used to make it with low fat mayo (I'm sure full fat mayo would be fine too, but growing up she wouldn't allow full fat mayo in the house.) I haven't tried making it with mayo, but when she did it it was great. Also, even though I have a casein intolerance, the apple cider vinegar in this helps with digestion and I don't get the stomach problems from the sour cream that plain sour cream would give me. So, it might be worth a try with the SC. But if not, give the mayo a shot.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links