#7   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 12:11

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 220/195.5/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
What an interesting way to look at it. I find my main motivation is esteem- I worry on job interviews I'll be perceived as less of a performer because I'm overweight.

From my personal experience and of others on this forum I find that society in general perceive overweight people to be lazy and lack will power. Many people on this forum prove otherwise, but unfortunately, chances of skinny people coming to this forum to see how overweight people try lose weight is pretty slim (no pun intended).

While Dr. Akins wasn’t the first person to come up with LC WOE, he was one of the first that brought it to the general public and also explained in detail why it works. In fact, in the DANDR, majority of the text is devoted to why LC WOE works and diseases associated with high-carb WOE.

Just like how Dr. Akins explained LC WOE, I want to explain to people, who think that overweight people are just lazy and have no will power, the actual reason why most overweight people can’t lose the weight. It’s not that they don’t do anything about their weight; they starve themselves, spend money and time in gym, and even resort to taking dangerous diet drugs (remember Fen-phen?) just so that they can be accepted by the society (Social Needs) and improve their self-esteem (Esteem Needs). Problem is that by following the popular high-carb/low-cal diets, they are either starving (Biological and Physiological Needs) or killing themselves with drugs like Fen-phen. I don’t see it as being lazy or lacking will power. No normal person can physically neglect the basic needs in the long run, no matter how much of will power they have. I can, as well as many others in this forum, who were on high-carb/low-cal diets, can tell you that.

If you believe my theory to be true, I hope that you can use it to convince others and the overweight people are not lazy and do not lack willpower.