#15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-30-06, 00:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/134/105 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
You have to be open with people and talk about your problems in order to get help from people and my problems are far too complicated for me to be open about them- especially in a group setting.

JMHO --and I've been going to OA for some time-- so I understand your concern about being unable to express your feelings in a group setting.

That said, I sat in meetings for awhile and after months of listening and identifying so deeply with other people's stories/recoveries, I finally felt safe enough to share in the meetings. There are many, many people in the program who have very "complicated" situations. Not to sound rude or anything (and I hope I don't) but you are not alone. That's why we're compulsive overeaters. It's a disease. And we don't like to talk about it! But we have to do that to recover!! I take it very seriously. OA saved my life and you can be sure that if I wanna continue to save it, I'm gonna share that stuff and get it out so that it doesn't eat me up inside. The identification I get with other overeaters in the rooms of OA is what makes it easier for me to overcome the reasons/triggers for my overeating in the first place.

Also, I saw a therapist for quite some time about my "issues"-- and this seemed to work nicely with the program. Maybe starting out slowly and talking to someone on a one-on-one basis might be a good way to begin?

This was just my experience and I wanted to mention it, for whatever it's worth...