#9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-06, 17:28

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davideb
When I asked both Phillips and Tom Venuto claimed that very low carb diets while working on the paper don't work on real life for active people and real hard physical exercise. Both have tried very low carb diets and ketogenic diets and both had to give up after 6 months to an year because they lost most of their muscle mass and they energy went down the toilet (as Tom says)

And I'll bet that both of them were undereating, whether they realize it or not. It's very hard to get in enough calories on a low carb plan if you're muscular and active; I used to have to eat massive amounts of peanut butter to do it (nearly a jar a day, iirc, in addition to real food), and I was still at a caloric deficit. I'm on a fairly low carb plan now, averaging about 50 net g carbs/day, and I do between one and two hours of moderate exercise a day, and never get tired. I'm now adding in more strenuous cardio, and so far have had no problems. I've been doing this for a year, so maybe it takes a long time for your body to adapt. It is doable, though. BTW, many moons ago I used to train with a guy who got his IFB pro card, and he followed a low carb plan, eating almost nothing but steak, shrimp, vegetables, and protein shakes. But he ate a lot of them, in addition to the other, ummm, "aids" he was taking.