View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 12:57

Plan: atkins/modified
Stats: 153.5/122.5/125
BF:
Progress: 109%

I've had RAI twice. August 2000 and October 2000. I assume you are hyperthyroid? Do you have Graves?

I think you are confusing have the thyroid uptake and scan with the RAI I-131 treatment (you will probably have both at different times).

With the uptake and scan they see how much irradiated iodine your thyroid obsorbs over a given period. I think it is after 6 hours and 24 hours. You will go to the doctor twice for this over 2 days. It is not painful in the least. They use a "geiger counter" looking thing pointed over your throat to detect how much your thyroid is taking in, hence it is called an "uptake." The irradiated thyroid is given in an injection. This uptake and scan will determine for your nuclear medicine doctor what the correct dosage of the radioative iodine will be for you when you get the RAI treatment.

The RAI (I-131) treatment is different. You swallow a pill (or two - depending on the dosage required) and that is it. You may get up to 29.9 milicuries (the way the radiation dosage is measured) without having to be hospitalized. If your dosage exceeds 29.9, you will need to be in the hospital in a special room for a couple of days. Most people are able to do it on an outpatient basis in the doctor's office though. The radiation literally kills off your thyroid. It destroys the thyroid cells.

They will tell you to stay away from pregnant women, small children and animals, and not to sit to close to anyone (less that 4 feet) for extended period of time. My husband slept in the guest room and I put my dogs in the kennel for the 2 days that I was "radioactive." You have to be careful with your urine, and flush the toilet twice (the radioactivity can be discharged in your urine).

By law, you have to have a pregnancy test no matter what age you are, if you have not had a hysterectomy or experienced menopause.

It's really not painful or scary at all. This will be the easiest part of getting your thyroid back under control. The hard part comes next when you try to get your medication right.

I have had GD for about 4 years, so if you ever want to talk, let me know.