Thread: Soy versus Whey
View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 18:19

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

There has been a lot in the news over the years about the benefits of soy in all forms, although most "alternative" practicioners have long been wary of it. Weston A Price also has a section on soy. http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

Recently I saw an article that indicated that some in "mainstream" medical are starting to question soy's role in cancer. Replacement estrogen is considered at least a contributing factor in at least breast cancer.....so is replacement estrogen, natural or artificial.....but phytoestrogens for some reason have always been given the green light....in fact promoted for women! Makes no sense to me.

I avoid all soy except fermented...and only have very small amounts of it. I check all labels for soy, and if possible buy the item without soy. I figure small amounts probably aren't bad....but soy is in so many foods in so many forms that it scares me.

Now, I do use HRT for menopause symptoms. I use the patch, which I feel is the safest way to take it. Since it's absorbed thru the skin it doesnt' go thru the liver first and smaller doses are needed. I still have symptoms (you only take enough to control, not stop symptoms), but I'm functional. I had hot flashes several times an hour. Didn't sleep, very cranky, and would even get nausea from the hot flashes! (I never had morning sickness, maybe this is payback? lol) According to my doc my symptoms should gradually fade, and then we cut back or stop the replacement. With all I've read about soy, I feel that this is much safer and more effective than taking in soy and other phytoestrogens.