Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 10:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Re: About that Stefannson guy

Quote:
Originally posted by suze_c
I believe I also read about Stefannson being in with the Eskimos, and being on their way of eating at that time as well. He got quite ill and that is why the 2nd time that he done it, he went to Bellevue hospital because of what physical reactions he had had the first go around.. are we talking about the same guy?

Same guy, but I think you are not remembering it correctly. He did not get sick with the Eskimos. It just took him time to learn to like fish, which he had not liked previously. He does relate that when he was forced to eat only lean meat, he did not feel good. Finding fat ended all symptoms.

Here's what he says, "About the fourth month of my first Eskimo winter I was looking forward to every meal (rotten or fresh [fish]), enjoying them, and feeling comfortable when they were over. Still I kept thinking the boiled fish would taste better if only I had salt. From the beginning of my Eskimo residence I had suffered from this lack."

Once during his stay, he had the good fortune to visit with some Americans. Here's what he wrote: "For the few days of my visit I enjoyed the excellent New England cooking, but when I left Herschel Island I returned without reluctance to the Eskimo meals of fish and cold water. It seemed to me that, mentally and physically, I had never been in better health in my life."

As you can see, the all-meat/fish diet did not make him sick. He went to Bellevue so that the results would be witnessed by medical authorities and no one would have to take his word on it.

Sheldon